- What problem have you been given?
- How do you know you need to add/subtract/multiply/divide?
- Does what you think make sense?
They were then instructed to find another student in the classroom that had the same note card. I asked that they share their expression with each other. I then asked:
- Did you have the expression?
- What about the phrase made you think add/subtract/multiply/divide?
- Are there certain words in the phrase that made you do specific things?
Students were then directed to find someone with a different card. I considered them the expert of their expression. They then taught their friend, answered questions, and offered assistance if needed.